The Complex/Conventional Structures Design Delivery Unit is responsible for the development of contract plans for the rehabilitation and replacement of structures greater than 6 feet. We are organized into two teams, each supervised by a Project Manager. We are located at the VTrans National Life office in Montpelier. The primary responsibilities of our Unit include:
- Designing bridges/roadways upon receipt of the Scoping Report for bridges that are complex or require more time to deliver than a bridge project delivered in the Accelerated Bridge Design unit
- Design and detail of all features of the roadway, including lane and shoulder widths, surface thickness and materials, guardrail, and erosion control features.
- The determination of the estimated pay quantities.
- The preparation of the engineer's cost estimate.
- Projects that requires a conventional delivery are those that typically need utility relocations, right of way easements, extensive environmental permits or maintenance of traffic issues. For instance, the installation of a temporary bridge to maintain traffic. Our goal is to advertise the projects within 5 years of the scoped project. Each project is different in its complexities.
- The complex projects that we design include single and multi- span span plate girder and rolled beam structures, curved girder bridges and substructures that require extensive designs such as drilled shafts. We also design truss bridge rehabilitations and covered bridges.
- No project is too big or small for this group. Each project is unique and requires a team effort to complete.