******** LATEST NEWS ********
What roadway characteristics provide YOU a level of comfort while bicycling on Vermont’s State roadways? Wide shoulders? Low traffic volumes?
Take the on-line Phase II ROADWAY CHARACTERISTICS SURVEY to let us know!
As part of the planning process, the survey will inform the final evaluation criteria used to assess the comfort level of high-use/priority bicycle corridors. The survey closes March 10, 2017.
Subscribe to email@example.com for project updates.
Watch the recorded Phase II Statewide Public Meeting #1 by clicking here.
View the Phase II Statewide Public Meeting #1 Presentation by clicking here.
The Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) is developing an On-Road Bicycle Plan in support of enhancing on-road bicycle improvements on State roadways. The VTrans On-Road Bicycle Plan is a planning effort to categorize the state roads into high-, moderate- and low-use/priority corridors based on current and potential bicycle use. The Plan will assist VTrans in understanding where to focus limited resources towards bicycle improvements and, allow better integration into Agency projects and activities.
On-Road Bicycle Plan Phase Overview
Plan Phase 1: DETERMINE USE on state roads using data and public input to create the VTrans Bicycle Corridor Priority Map. Priority corridors are state roads categorized into high-, moderate- and low-use based on current and potential bicycle use.
- Timeline - Concluded Phase I in April 2016, finalized report and VTrans Bicycle Corridor Priority Map
Plan Phase 2: EVALUATE NEEDS by identifying on-road bicycle facility gaps between project defined evaluation criteria and current roadway conditions for the high use/priority corridors and identify bicycle safety constraints on all state roads.
- Preliminary Timeline – September 2016 to September 2017
- September 2016 – Project Kick-Off Meeting with Steering Committee
- December 2016– 2nd Steering Committee Meeting and 1st Statewide Public Meeting using webinar format at each Regional Planning Commission
- January 2017- Develop roadway evaluation criteria and project survey
- February 2017 – Launch of on-lineproject survey used for public input into the evaluation criteria used for the gap analysis
- March 2017 – Close project survey and publish Safety Analysis findings
- April 2017 - Launch Phase II interactive crowd sourcing tool (aka Wikimap)
- May 2017 -Public comment period and Phase II WikiMap closed
- June/July 2017- 2nd Statewide Public Meeting
- September 2017 – Conclude Phase II
Plan Phase 3: IDENTIFY IMPROVEMENT STRATEGIES along high-use bicycle corridors and develop an implementation plan based on the results of Phase II.
- Timeline - TBD
Project Team Phase II
VTrans provides overall project management and day-to-day guidance to the consultant team with guidance from an internal working group and a stakeholder group. The consultant team assists in preparing the Plan in unison with public participation and the interactive project tools (on-line survey and WikiMap). The consultant team consists of Alta Planning + Design and Resource System Group (RSG).