Guiding Principles of the VTTC
- Provide engaged, hands-on, skills-based training whenever possible
- Teach and train to the take-away message. Curricula, examples, exercises and demonstrations should enhance, not obscure, that message.
- Provide educational and training opportunities from employees' first day on the job to their last.
- Never underestimate the impact of a good teacher. Recruit the best teachers and instructors available--who are dynamic, inspiring, connected to the students, and love what they do.
- Set high standards and measure them. Exams should be challenging and accurately measure knowledge. A certificate of completion should be a source of pride and accomplishment.
Goals of the VTTC
- Cultivate a workforce committed to:
- a culture of safety;
- environmental stewardship;
- continual professional and personal development;
- regulatory compliance through training and educational opportunities; and
- sustaining a mutually respectful workplace environment.
- Reduce employee accidents, injury, pain and suffering, workers' compensation claims, and lost work days.
- Create safer work zones, work locations and projects.
- Eliminate regulatory fines, penalties and exposures.
- Serving and meeting the needs of employees and management.