Join us for first set of virtual public meetings for the Carbon Reduction Strategy on Thursday, March 23, 2023. Meeting links and dial-in numbers are available below. We hope to see you there.
Public Meeting Session #2 – 6:00 PM
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Or One tap mobile:
US: +13092053325,,81578091856#,,,,*918971# or +13126266799,,81578091856#,,,,*918971#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location:
US: +1 309 205 3325 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 646 931 3860 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 305 224 1968 or +1 360 209 5623 or +1 386 347 5053 or +1 507 473 4847 or +1 564 217 2000 or +1 669 444 9171 or +1 689 278 1000 or +1 719 359 4580 or +1 720 707 2699 or +1 253 205 0468 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799
Webinar ID: 815 7809 1856
International numbers available: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kb5AHOYt3F
The purpose of the Vermont Agency of Transportation’s Carbon Reduction Program is to reduce transportation emissions through the development of statewide carbon reduction strategies and by funding projects designed to reduce emissions.
The work consists of two phases.
Phase 1: Estimate GHG emissions and reductions associated with VTrans’ Capital Program
- Develop a methodology to confidently estimate the effect on greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of the investments in the Agency of Transportation Capital Program such that the AOT can, in coordination with the Agency of Natural Resources Climate Office, track and report progress towards achieving the State’s greenhouse reduction goals.
Phase 2: Develop Carbon Reduction Strategy
- Assess potential future policy, program, and funding options to cost-effectively reduce GHG emissions from Vermont’s transportation sector.
- Engage stakeholders and the public.
- Develop an investment strategy to reduce transportation emissions consistent with the Federal Carbon Reduction Program Guidance and the State’s Global Warming Solutions Act requirements.
Project Status - February 2023
- The project team completed a draft evaluation of the GHG effects of the Agency of Transportation’s Capital Program in December 2022.
- A first round of public outreach is underway, and will include meetings with stakeholders and a set of virtual public meetings.
- The project team is evaluating the gap between projected transportation GHG emissions and the state’s GHG reduction targets for 2030 and 2050, and developing scenarios of policies and strategies to close the gap.
- Initial findings and a draft Carbon Reduction Strategy will be provided for a second round of public and stakeholder feedback in the summer.
Public and Stakeholder Engagement
An Advisory Committee has been convened to guide the public outreach and strategy development, and a Technical Committee has been convened to guide the technical analysis. Additionally, the project team will be seeking input on policy, program, and funding options and the investment strategy.
Outreach will include virtual public meetings as well as a series of focus groups with specific stakeholders, including business, freight, environmental, community, and equity-focused interests. The public and stakeholder outreach for the project will be conducted in two phases. The first phase, held in spring 2023, will focus on policy and programmatic strategies for GHG emissions reduction as the scenarios are developed. Once this analysis has been conducted and a draft Investment Strategy is prepared, the public will be engaged through a second round of meetings.
- The first set of virtual public meetings is scheduled for Thursday, March 23, 2023. Watch this website for a link or use the form below to receive notifications of meetings.
For questions or comments relating to the Vermont Agency of Transportation’s Carbon Reduction Strategy, please fill out the form below.