On July 29, 2022, the Vermont Agency of Transportation (AOT), along with Vermont’s congressional delegation and governor, the City of Burlington, and other state, federal, and rail officials, celebrated the start of the expanded Amtrak Ethan Allen Express passenger rail service in Burlington, Ferrisburgh-Vergennes, and Middlebury. Daily service is now operational. Book your next travel by train today: Amtrak.com.
Starting in 2022, Amtrak’s Ethan Allen Express train, which currently travels from New York City to Rutland, VT via Albany, NY, and Castleton, VT, will extend service beyond the current line’s terminus in Rutland and continue north to Burlington, with new planned stops in Middlebury and Vergennes. The current plans are for the Ethan Allen Express to arrive in Burlington in the evening and depart southbound in the morning for New York City, with stops in Vergennes, Middlebury, Rutland, and Castleton. The new northern terminus for the Ethan Allen Express line will be Burlington’s Union Station, which is located at the foot of Main Street on Burlington’s waterfront.
Key construction related news related to the Agency’s preparations in bringing the train to Burlington are listed below:
- Phase 1- Realignment of the tracks to the east, removal of the platform canopy at Union Station and stormwater and utility work - Completed, Fall 2020
- Phase 2 - Construction of the new platform at Union Station; relocation of the bike path to the west side of the tracks between College and King Streets; railroad crossing and signal improvements on College Street; roadway improvements at the intersection of College Street and the bike path - Planned for completion Summer 2022
- Phase 3 - Reconstruction of the railroad crossings at King Street and Maple Street; reconstruction of the bike path between King and Maple Streets; track realignment work in the Vermont Rail Systems railyard to accommodate the overnighting of the Ethan Allen Express train - Planned for completion Summer 2022
- Phase 4a - Realignment of LaValley Lane, south of Maple Street, to install new tracks for the Ethan Allen Express - Planned to continue through Spring 2022
- Phase 4b - Final work in Vermont Rail Systems railyard to accommodate the overnighting of the Ethan Allen Express - Planned to continue through Spring 2022
For more information, contact Natalie Boyle at (802) 855-3893 or email@example.com for construction information, schedule updates, questions or concerns.
AMTRAK to Burlington-Railroad Improvements and Greenway Projects
VTrans Rail & Aviation Bureau Director