State Rail Plan
The Vermont Agency of Transportation is updating the State Rail Plan and also the State Freight Plan. These updates are coordinated given the importance to Vermont of freight moved by rail.
It is important to maintain a current, well-thought-through rail plan to
- Support and enhance Vermont’s economy and quality of life
- Provide rail transportation options for intercity and interstate travel
- Meet Federal requirements and remain eligible for certain grant programs
- Support goals such as in the Vermont Long-Range Transportation Plan and Comprehensive Energy Plan.
The 2021 update to the 2015 Vermont State Rail Plan will refresh the data, maps, and proposed projects table. The process is summarized below.
The Vermont Rail Advisory Council (VRAC) will serve as the sounding board for the update of the Rail Plan. In addition, everyone is invited to participate, and planned events include online options. The following figure summarizes the anticipated general timeline.
Newsletters and Outreach Material
- Interactive web map with useful rail planning contents and opportunity to add your issues or ideas
- Video of Presentation #1 – Introduction, summary of data trends, how the update process will work, web map, and next steps (31 minutes)
- Presentation #1 slide deck
- Newsletter #1
Technical Memos, Reports, & Resources
- Data Trends Summary and Discussion Questions
- 2015 Vermont State Rail Plan
- Federal Guidance for State Rail Plans
VTrans Planning Coordinator Zoe Neaderland: Zoe.Neaderland@vermont.gov or (802) 793-2778.
NY - VT Bi-State Intercity Passenger Rail Study
The objective of the NY-VT Bi-State Intercity Passenger Rail project was to identify and develop an environmentally and operationally feasible intercity passenger rail service for western Vermont and east-central New York.
Several service alternatives were evaluated using a two-tiered screening methodology focused on access & mobility, capital & operating costs, ridership, and environmental criteria. The optimal service design, which scored highest according to the selection criteria, is a new intercity passenger rail service which links the towns of Rutland VT, Manchester VT, North Bennington VT, and Mechanicville NY to Albany NY and New York NY utilizing rail lines from Vermont Railway, Pan Am, and CSX.
Middlebury Spur - Environmental Impact Statement Warning: +100 MB File