Skip to main content


The Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) certifies Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE) according to federal law. A DBE is a small, for-profit business that is at least 51 percent owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.

In State Certification

If you wish to be considered for DBE certification, your business must meet the following general guidelines:

  1. The business must be at least 51 percent owned by one or more socially and economically disadvantaged individuals. A socially disadvantaged individual is a citizen (or lawfully admitted permanent resident) who is a member of one of the following groups: Black American, Hispanic American, Native American, Asian-Pacific American, Subcontinent American, or Female.

  2. The company must be an independent business, and one or more of the socially disadvantaged owners must control its management and daily operations.

  3. Only existing “for-profit” businesses may be certified, and DBE applicants are subject to applicable small business size standards (average annual gross receipts not to exceed $30.72 million over the previous three fiscal years). 

  4. The Personal Net Worth (PNW) of each socially and economically disadvantaged owner must not exceed $2,047,000 million.

  5. Use this application to apply for Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) certification. This application is only for businesses residing in the State of Vermont. For assistance with this application, contact Diane Meyerhoff, 802.865.1794. 

Applicants are encouraged to review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) prior to completing the application.

Out-of-State Certification

To request certification, please complete the online Out-of-State Certification Request Form, then email the following documentation to Sonya Boisvert

  1. An electronic image of the DBE directory from your home state (screenshot or snip); and
  2. A signed Declaration of Eligibility 

Once certified, to ensure continued program eligibility, all DBEs are required to submit their paperwork for the annual DBE certification review during the month they certified in their home state.

Annual Renewal

To remain in the DBE Program, an annual update is required. This is a simple and easy process. In late October/early November, you will receive an email from Sonya Boisvert at VTrans. To renew your certification, submit the required documents listed in the email via the secure online portal.